My apologies for not being regular in posting recipes. I recently moved cities and had a baby. Being a first time mom, the learning curve has been steep, but I am enjoying it and the baby is doing well so I guess I am doing a good enough job!
As the name suggests, the recipe results in a tangy corn curry and is eaten with chevro, chips/crips, fried sev etc… It is kind of the channa bateta of the busy momma!
Recipe: Sweet, Sour and Spicy Curried Corn
Accompaniments: Chevro, chips, mogoo chips, sev etc
- 1 can of corn kernels, 12 oz., about 2 cups (a.k.a sweet corn/niblets/corn off the cob), drained
- 4-5 curry leaves (limro)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeeru)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice or 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp brown sugar or gor or white sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (i use canned)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup hot water or as needed
- Heat oil in a small pot, add curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds. Let the seeds splutter.
- Add cumin powder, turmeric.
- Add garlic paste, fry for a couple seconds, then add tomato paste, lemon juice/tamarind paste, coconut milk.
- Add sugar, chili powder and salt.
- Add corn, mix it in. Add hot water to make give it a saucy consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature.