I don’t know why this recipe is called zucchini bread, since it is essentially a cake, a denser type of cake. I like this recipe since it is very simple to make, requires no special flours and uses oil (I dislike creaming butter!). This is my sister’s recipe, I will be taking some for her at lunch (since we are lunch buddies!) and hope to get her stamp of approval!
Also known as: Zucchini/Courgette Cake
Servings: Makes one 9×13 pan or 2 loaf pans
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup sugar (or 2 cups if you would like it sweeter)
- 1 cup oil
- 3 tsp vanilla (I’m using artificial flavoring)
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour (or 2 white, 1 brown)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 cups zucchini, grated (do not peel)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- Grate about 2 small zucchini without peeling their skin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. If you have a hand mixer, use it to make a uniform mixture. Pre-heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Add the zucchini and mix. Wait a two minutes, and mix again (the zucchini releases some water, so you want to mix that in).
- Add the nuts if using.
- Grease or line with parchment paper your baking pan. I’m using a 9×13 dark coated metal baking pan.
- Bake on center rack at 350°F (175°C) for 35-40 minutes till tester comes out clean. If baking in loaf pans, reduce cooking time.
- If you like the bread a little crispy on the top, turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven for an extra 5 minutes.