An easy recipe that comes together quickly. Red kidney beans can be substituted for the red cow peas.
Recipe: Chora Tarela
Also known as: Red Chori Saag, Adzuki Bean Curry, Red Cow Peas Curry
- 1 cup red cow beans (also known as chora, chori, adzuki beans)
- pinch of baking powder (soda bi-carbonate)
- 1/2 tsp salt for boiling
- water as needed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 dried red chili or fresh green chili (optional)
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- handful of cilantro leaves for garnishing
- In a large bowl, fill warm water and add the baking soda. Add the beans to the water and let them soak overnight (6-8 hours).
- Drain the water.
- Boil water in a medium-sized pot, add 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, add the beans and 2 Tbsp oil.
- Boil the beans till tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the water.
- In a clean pot, heat the oil. Add the dried red chili/green chili if using.
- Add the garlic paste and let it fry for a couple of seconds, then add the tomato puree, salt, red chili powder.
- Fry till the oil separates from the tomato mixture and the mixture darkens slightly.
- Add the beans and mix into the tomato mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup hot water.
- Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes on low heat for the beans to absorb flavor.
- Stir in lemon juice and chopped cilantro before serving.