This recipe for siro is seriously decadent!
For a recipe of siro that does not require sweetened condensed milk, please see Siro (Semolina Halwa)
Recipe: Siro (Semolina Halwa) with Sweetened Condensed Milk
Also known as: Seero/Soji Halwa/Semolina Halwa
Servings: Makes one large plate
- 1/2 cup butter (1/4 lb)
- 1/2 cup fine sooji (fine semolina)
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- pinch of cardamom
- few strands of saffron (kesar)
- touch of yellow food coloring, optional
- slivered almonds or chopped pistachios
- Melt butter on low heat. Add the cardamom powder and saffron.
- Add the semolina to the butter and stir-fry the semolina till slightly brow, it will release a nutty aroma.
- To the water, add the color if using.
- Add the water and sweet milk to the semolina. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Incorporate all the ingredients and keep stirring till the mixture comes away from the sides of the pot.
- The consistency has to be thick, almost paste like.
- Once done, plate and garnish with nuts.
- Serve at room temperature.