For an even more richer and creamier version of siro, please see Siro (Semolina Halwa) with Sweetened Condensed Milk
Also known as: Seero/Soji Halwa/Semolina Halwa
Servings: Makes one large plate
- 1/2 cup butter (1/4 lb)
- 3/4 cup fine sooji (fine semolina)
- 1/2 tin evaporated milk (unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp milk powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- pinch of cardamom
- few strands of saffron (kesar)
- slivered almonds or chopped pistachios
- In a bowl, whisk together water, milk, milk powder, sugar, saffron and cardamom.
- Melt butter in a pot on low heat.
- Add the semolina to the butter and stir-fry the semolina till slightly brow, it will release a nutty aroma.
- Add the liquid mix to the pot. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Incorporate all the ingredients and keep stirring till the mixture comes away from the sides of the pot.
- The consistency has to be thick, almost paste like.
- Once done, plate and garnish with nuts.
- Serve at room temperature.