This recipe does not take much time to make. I’m using sliced beef since it take less time to cook, however, you can substitute with beef cubes (if using beef cubes, cut the potatoes into cubes, not slices) and increase cooking time. Perfect enough for a weeknight meal.
Excuse the sloppy pictures, I was in a hurry!
Recipe: Easy Gos Tarelo
Also known as: Sliced Beef Curry
- 1 1/2 pounds sliced beef
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes*
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick (taj)
- 2 cloves (laving)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced into 4mm thick rounds, either fried or boiled
*If you do not use canned crushed tomatoes, substitute with one fresh tomato (very finely diced) mixed with 1 Tbsp tomato puree, add these when the recipe instructs to add the crushed tomatoes
- pressure cooker
- blender/food processor
- Wash the beef and drain.
- In a blender/food processor, add garlic, ginger, salt, red chillies, fresh tomatoes, yogurt. Puree to make a smooth paste. Add to meat, mix and let the mixture marinate for sometime at room temperature. If leaving to marinate for more than an hour, refrigerate.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil. Add the cinnamon and cloves and let them fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and let if fry in the oil for two minutes.
- Add the beef and all its marinade.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, close the pressure cooker lid.
- Cook on low-medium heat for about 30-35 minutes till meat is tender (depends on how efficient your pressure cooker is).
- Once pressure cooker has cooled, open to check if meat is tender. If not return to heat. If done, add cilantro.
- Tilt the pressure cooker to gather any excess oil, skim any excess oil using a spoon.
- Pour into serving dish.