I love the spaghetti sauce my mother makes. It doesn’t taste like curry dumped on pasta, it’s a familiar yet different type of pasta sauce. It’s super easy to prepare, the addition of an apple and the red pepper makes it taste fresher! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Recipe: Appley Spaghetti Sauce
Accompaniments: Spaghetti, cheese, olives
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1 red pepper, cut into large chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 apple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- In a blender puree tomatoes, red pepper, apple, green chilli, ketchup.
- Heat oil in a pot and add onions. Cook the onions till they turn slightly brown at the edges (not fully brown).
- Add the garlic and salt and fry for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric, cumin, red chili flakes (if using).
- Add the pureed tomato mixture and cook till the mixture thickens and releases some oil.