These chewy, spicy corn fritters are addictive. My mother never made these, I discovered them in my friend’s lunch box in high school. On my first day at my new school, I was kinda bewildered that some of my classmates helped themselves to the mabuyu (baobab seeds candy) in my desk, which then led to the weird arrangement where I provided all the mabuyu, achari (dried mango candy) and fruit, and they provided actual lunch (including goat brain stuffed chapatis!). We all become great friends and let to me taking dozens of little bananas, bags of guavas and loquats to school. It certainly helped that we had a farm on which we grew lovely fruits!
Traditionally these fritters are deep-fried and are round. Since i’m pan frying these, they are flat. They take very little time to make and require readily available ingredients.
Recipe: Makai na Bhajia
Also known as: Indian Corn Fritters, Corn Bhajias
Accompaniments: Cilantro Chutney
Servings: Makes 12-14 fritters
- 1 can of corn kernels, 12 oz., about 2 cups (a.k.a sweet corn/niblets/corn off the cob), drained
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely diced cilantro
- 1/2 green chili, finely diced (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (hardar)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder (jeeru powder)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder (dhana powder)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- Oil for shallow frying
- In a bowl mix together the white flour, baking powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt.
- Add the lightly beaten egg and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
- Add water gradually to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Add the corn, onion, cilantro and green chili (if using). I didn’t have any cilantro, hence no green stuff!
- In a non-stick skillet, add some oil (3-4 Tbsp) to lightly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the oil on medium high heat.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the corn mixture and place in the oil. Flatten the corn with the back of a spoon.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan, fry about 3 minutes on each side till golden brown.
- Remove on a paper towel to absorb excess fat.
Approx. nutritional content: I used 5 Tbsp of oil and made 14 fritters for which the calorie content is below. Adjust according to the amount of oil you use.