Simple recipe to make a basic potato curry. If you don’t have curry leaves, you can leave it out.
Recipe: Bateta nu Saag
Also known as: Tangy Potato Curry
Accompaniments: Chevro/Crushed plain chips/Lassi Khichri
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 5-6 curry leaves (limro)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai seeds)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeeru seeds)
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree, heaped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (hardar)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- Water as needed
- Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks.
- Boil the potatoes until almost done. Drain. It is important not to over cook the potatoes at this point since they will cook more later.
- In another pot, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard and cumin seeds and let them splutter in the oil.
- Add the curry leaves.
- Add the garlic paste and stir for a bit.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Cook till the tomato paste darkens and the oil separates.
- Add the turmeric, chili powder and salt. Stir it in. Taste check for salt/chili.
- Add the potatoes and stir to coat the potatoes with the tomato mixture.
- Add water to cover the potatoes (about 2-3 cups) and stir gently.
- Cover and simmer. Add the lemon juice before serving.
Approx. nutritional content: