This easy beef recipe comes together quickly, perfect for when you need a good meal but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen. The meat can be frozen with the marinade for use later on.
Recipe: Saucy Steak and Pepper Fry
Accompaniments: Brown Rice
- 1.5 lb beef strips (thick, chunky strips)*
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste (heaped)
- 2 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp vinegar/lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 onion, cut into slices
- 1 green pepper, cut into slices
- 1/2 of a yellow/red pepper, cut into slices
- 3 Tbsp of oil
* I usually ask the butcher to cut 1 cm thick steak slices, which then I cut into strips at home. If thinner strips are being used, reduce cooking time (or don’t use a pressure cooker), otherwise the meat will be in shreds.
- Mix together the tomato paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, vinegar or lemon juice, soy sauce, paprika powder, chili powder and salt.
- Taste check for salt and chili. Add any as needed.
- Add the meat to the tomato paste mixture and let it marinate for an hour or even overnight in the fridge.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pressure cooker. When hot, lower the heat to medium and put the meat, with its marinade, into the sizzling oil. Give it a couple of stirs.
- When the meat releases some water, add a quarter cup of water. Stir again.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 25-30 minutes (depending on how efficient your pressure cooker is). The meat should still have some bite to it (as in, it shouldn’t be falling apart)
- In another large pot, on high heat add the remaining oil.
- Add the onions and pepper. Stir fry for a 3-5 minutes. The peppers should be slightly tender.
- Add all the contents of the pressure cooker into the stir-fried vegetables and cook for a couple more minutes. All done!
Approx. nutritional content: Was unable to calculate an accurate calorie content since I did not know the beef cut that I used. However, I would estimate each serving to be about 400 calories.