These buns are light, have a hint of sweetness and taste slightly of liquorice (from the fennel seeds). Usually eaten on their own or with spicy beef curries. For breakfast, I like to split the buns and toast them and then smear some butter on them. You can increase the sugar content to make the buns sweeter.
Recipe: Yellow Naan
Also known as: Yellow Buns/Fennel Scented Buns/Viryari wara Buns
Accompaniments: Butter or Curries
Servings: Makes 24 buns
- 4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup luke-warm water (or as needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds (viryari/vairiyali)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence (depending on the strength of the essence I use a weak one, or 1/4 tsp vanilla powder)
- pinch of yellow food color
- 1/3 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 egg beaten with a tsp of water (egg-wash) or 2 Tbsp evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt. Add the raisins/cranberries to the flour (if using).
- In a separate bowl, mix the water and yeast. Add the yellow food coloring and mix. Add the fennel seeds, oil, vanilla essence, egg, sugar and mix well.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour and combine.
- Pour the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes. It will be a semi-firm dough.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl. Cover with cling-wrap.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place.
- When doubled in size, knead the dough again to punch out the air.
- Grease or line with parchment paper two 8 inch round pans or one 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Make 24 small balls from the dough.
- Place 12 of the balls, fairly spaced apart, in each of the 8 inch pans.
- Cover the pan again with cling-wrap and let the dough rise for a second time in a warm place. It is essential for the dough to rise again as this determines how airy the buns will be.
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- Brush the surface of the buns with egg wash or evaporated milk.
- Place pans in middle rack and bake for 18-20 minutes. Check with knife for done-ness.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.
Approx. nutritional content: