This flavorful rice usually accompanies curries.
Recipe: Vagarelu Khaw
Also known as: Spiced Rice
Categories: Rice Dishes; side dish
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice (soaked for 30 min, and rinsed till the draining water runs clear)
- 2 1/4 cup water (approximately)
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic paste
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera seeds)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 whole black pepper (mari)
- 2-3 cardamom pods (elachi)
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, black peppers and cardamom pods and let crackle.
- Add the onion and fry till golden. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the water and salt, increase the heat. Cover pot and let the water come to a boil.
- Add the drained rice.
- Once the rice and water comes to a boil, lower the heat and let the rice cook in the water.
- Check to ensure the rice is not sticking.
- After 5 minutes, check one grain to see if it is fully cooked. If not, add quarter cup hot water, stir and cover pot.
- Once done, turn the heat off. Fluff the rice with a fork and leave the rice to rest and absorb any remaining moisture.