These ‘good-sized’ buns are perfect for lunch. I usually store the buns in the freezer and defrost them in the morning as needed. For a quick dinner, add sides such as soup and salad and you have a meal! The buns recipe is super easy to make and has so far never failed me. Hope it works for you too!
Also known as: Lunch Buns
Servings: Makes 12 buns
For the dough:
- 3 3/4 cup of white flour (or 3 cups whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup of white flour)
- 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup luke-warm water
- 1/2 cup luke-warm milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the filling:
- You can use any fillings that you like, just ensure they are cooked. Filling ideas include:
- Shredded beef and corn
- Shredded beef and sauteed onions
- Mince meat and grated carrots
- Vegetable samosa mixture
- Shredded chicken and diced green peppers
- Mixed cheeses with herbs
- Flaked fish
- Add the butter to the flour and mix.
- Whisk or blend together the water, milk, egg, instant yeast, sugar and salt.
- Slowly add the liquid mixture to the flour, mixing as you pour.
- Mix the dough in the bowl and once it comes together pour out onto a clean surface.
- Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes till it forms a smooth elastic dough, roll into a big ball. Place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover tightly with cling wrap/plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place. To speed things up, I usually turn on my oven for 3 minutes on the lowest setting and then turn it off. I then place the bowl in the oven with the oven light on.
- When it doubles in size, it is ready.
- Punch down the dough and make 12 balls. Roll each one out into a 6 inch circle. Put about 3 heaped Tbsp of filling in each circle and fold over and seal edges with a fork. Brush each bun with egg wash or tinned evaporated milk. Poke holes with a fork on each bun to allow steam to escape. Place buns on a greased baking tray.
- Bake buns in a pre-heated oven on 325°F for 12-15 minutes (till light brown). To ensure even cooking, move the racks from top to bottom and vice versa.