I like this relish/pickle recipe since it is super easy to make, can be adjusted to your liking and doesn’t involve slaving away in the kitchen!
Recipe: Ghajjar ne Amba nu Athano
Also known as: Fresh Carrot and Mango Pickle
- 4 medium-sized carrots
- 1 large unripe mango (since I don’t get mangoes here, I use a peeled granny smith apple as a substitute, it is the tart green apple)
- 4 green chillies, finely diced (this makes it really hot, so use as many as you like)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 lemon, juiced and strained
- Grate the carrots and mango (or granny smith apple if using). I use the grating attachment on my food processor.
- In a bowl, mix together the tomato paste, garlic, vegetable oil, salt, chili powder, turmeric and lemon juice.
- Add the carrots, mango and green chillies and mix.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 3 days. If using apple, consume within the day since the apple will brown if stored.