There are so many versions of Makai Paka, if you’d like to share your recipe, sent it to me at the email address listed in the contact page.
Recipe: Makai Paka
Also known as: Corn with Coconut Gravy
Accompaniments: Usually eaten on its own
- 2 sweet corn, cut into 3-4 pieces each
- 1 green chili split (optional)
- 1 cup regular coconut milk (canned)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- tamarind chutney (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, chopped
- Boil the corn with a little salt and drain (I use my pressure cooker, takes half the time).
- In a pan, add the chili, coconut milk, salt, turmeric, garlic, tamarind and let it come to a boil while stirring.
- After it thickens a bit, add the corn and lastly lemon juice.
- Add the cilantro.
- Let the corn soak in the coconut for a bit before serving.
For a lower calorie version, I use 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water in place of 1 cup of coconut milk. I thicken the coconut sauce with 1 tsp of white flour mixed in some water. I can’t tell the difference.