Khichri is basically mashed up rice and split green gram beans. It’s my get well soon food, like chicken soup is for some, or my when I’m in my lazy to chew food mood (j/k! if I was that lazy, I wouldn’t cook innit?) Goes well with kadhi and masala bateta or as my hubby taught me, spinach curry (I don’t understand that combo but he seems to, so you might too). The khichri I grew up is not very similar to any of the images google shows when you google khichri.
Recipe: Lassi Khichri
Also known as: Khichdi
- 1/4 cup split mung (mag/moong/green gram) soaked overnight and drained
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked for some time and drained
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp butter
- Boil the rice in some salted water. When done, drain out the water and return the rice to the pot.
- While the rice is boiling, in a separate pot boil the split mung and when the mung is tender, drain the water.
- Add the boiled mung to the boiled rice, add the butter and more salt if you like. While the pot is on medium heat, add some hot water and whisk (I use an immersion blender) until it’s ( for lack of better words) mush.
Approx. nutritional content:
Will upload pictures soon!