Yellow rice is usually eaten as an accompaniment to another curry of some sorts, that is, it is not eaten on its own as a pilaf.
Recipe: Yellow Rice
Also known as: N/A
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cut into little cubes
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 cup of basmati rice, washed and soaked in cold water for at least 20 mins and drained
- 1.5 cups of water
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 clove
- 5-6 whole black pepper
- 1/4 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 cardamom pod
- cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp of finely diced onions
- a touch of garlic paste
- Boil the potato in water with a pinch of turmeric and salt.
- In a separate pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and fry it until it’s translucent.
- Add the whole spices and garlic and fry for a bit.
- Add the water, a pinch of turmeric and 1 tsp of salt (or to taste).
- When it comes to a boil, add the drained rice.
- When it comes to a boil again, cover the pot with its lid and lower the heat. The rice will puff up.
- When the rice is just about done, turn off the heat and take the pot off the hot plate.
- Add the boiled potato pieces.
- Let the rice rest uncovered in the pot before transferring it into your serving dish, it will absorb all the remaining moisture.